Welcome to the County Assembly of Embu’s official website and thank you for the support you have continually shown to your democratically elected leaders, through whom you exercise your sovereign power.
It is a delight to open our doors to our operations through this interactive forum. We wish to pledge to uphold the open-door policy in the quest to inform Embu residents on our role in representation, law making, oversight and policy approvals in the county.
A County Assembly exercise and execute the mandate, role and function by the sovereign power to participate in governance, delegated to them under section 1(2), (3) and (4) of Constitution of Kenya 2010
On the basis of the current philosophies and practices of governance and from Constitution of Kenya 2010 and pertinent statutes, these are the mandate, role and function of the County Assemblies in Kenya
- They are the home of and executer of the legislate authority of a County by making and unmaking laws to facilitate the due execution of the powers and functions of a County Government under existing statute
- They exercise oversight over all issues and matters of governance especially, the operation of the County executive Committee and all organs of the County Executive.
- They receive, deliberate on and approve:-
- All development plans, programmes, policies and budget of a County Government; as set out in sections 207,220 (2), 201 and 203 of Constitution of Kenya 2010 and Part IV of the Public Finance Management Act, 2012;
- After vetting all nominees for appointment as County Secretary and Chief officers for the County Public Service;
- The borrowing by a County Government in accordance with provision of section 212 of CK 2010;
- Appointment of a Clerk of a County Assembly (CCA) on recommendation of the County Assembly Service Board (CASB);
- They represent the electorate of County in the governance, including providing leadership in deliberation on all matters of concern an interest;
- However, Members of the County Assembly do not get directly involved in the Executive or functions of a County Government or in the delivery of services meant to be done by the County Public Service.