Section 8 (1) of the County Governments Act of 2012 states that:
The county assembly shall —
- vet and approve nominees for appointment to county public offices as may be provided for in this Act or any other law;
- perform the roles set out under Article 185 of the Constitution;
- approve the budget and expenditure of the county government in accordance with Article 207 of the Constitution, and the legislation contemplated in Article 220 (2) of the Constitution, guided by Articles 201 and 203 of the Constitution;
- approve the borrowing by the county government in accordance with Article 212 of the Constitution;
- approve county development planning; and
- perform any other role as may be set out under the Constitution or legislation.