DIRECTOR, LITIGATION, LEGAL COMPLIANCE AND LEGSLATIVE DRAFTING
- The Legal Services function entails provision of non-partisan, professional legal services to members and staff of County Assembly and to the CASBE. Specifically, the function involves:-
- Drafting Private Members’ Bills and advising Hon. Members on the same.
- Rendering Legal Opinions to the Speaker, the Clerk, Board of Management, the various Departments and Private Members of County Assembly on various issues concerning parliamentary and administrative work.
- Advising on County Government Bills by assisting Committees of the House and Private Members of Assembly to scrutinize the Bills and draft proposed amendments to Bills before the House; and ensuring that the Bills passed by the House are forwarded to the Office of the Speaker for the preparation of the Vellum copies prior to transmission to the Governor for assent.
- Drafting Rulings for the approval of and delivery by Hon. Speaker.
- Serving as Speaker’s Counsel and in this capacity acts as legal counsel to the Speaker in respect of all official aspects of the Speaker’s office.
(vii) Offering Litigation services by attending to or acting as a link between county assembly and advocates on record in court cases involving County Assembly as a County government institution, in conjunction with the Speaker.
- Legal Research on assorted legal matters and participating in revising the County assembly Standing Orders and Members’ Handbook, subject to approval by the Standing Orders Committee.
- Undertaking publication of Legislative documents, i.e. Bills, Acts, Gazette Notices etc.
- Undertaking Chamber Services by advising on any legal issues that may arise in the course of proceedings in the Chamber of the House.
(x). Advising County Assembly Committees writing legal opinions, briefs and memoranda for use by the Committees and other departments.
(xi) Member, County Assembly Management and Staff advisory Committee.
Key Result Areas
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Counsel : Legal opinion / advice;
- Drafting : Preparation of County Legislative documents/Bills and other legal documents for approval;
- Litigation : prosecuting court cases affecting County Assembly or linking the county assembly and advocates on record on behalf of the county assembly to court cases; and
- Legal research: Search for fresh / auxiliary legal information / facts by consulting appropriate sources like documents, precedents or persons.